Friday, August 31, 2007

Better than ever!

Better than ever! Here at Assimilaishion, that's not just an empty promise, that's our pledge to you, our dear readers, as we strive to make this blog a force for good in the world, or at least piss off some people who so royally deserve it. With that in mind, I had mocked a few comments at http://www.aish.com/dating/wisdom/Season_of_Isolation.asp, but now with the motto of never-ending improvement, I aspire to mock not only those comments I had previously, but additional ones! Life is good!

Mrs.Epstein , 8/28/2007 7:33:00 AM suggests, "Start inviting married couples and families to your home for a meal. You can cook and clean up." Because what can shake a single person who's not getting any out of the doldrums faster than becoming a more fortunate person's slave?

Anonymous, 8/27/2007 8:32:00 PM admonishes our writer to, "Stop only thinking about yourself," apparently blissfully unaware of the implications of singlehood. Er, maybe the title of the article, "Season of Isolation" coulda tipped him off? But I digress.

Lisa , 8/23/2007 10:05:00 PM on the other hand makes a lot of sense. She writes, "While I have not gone this route (intermarrying) yet, the fate seems inevitable." How such a level-headed girl got through Big Aish's censors is anyone's guess!

To be continued.

2 comments:

Warren Burstein said...

I don't agree with the tone of the comment about inviting marrieds. But without feeling like a slave, I've got both marrieds and singles both coming to me and inviting me for meals on the chagim.

This doesn't work for everyone. I know how to cook, have enough space to seat my guests, and I know people well enough to invite them. I live in an easygoing community, so people were not hesitant to start accepting invitations from a single guy. But if it can work without making you feel exploited (even with takeout food on paper plates), it might be worth giving it a try. Marrieds, singles, whoever you want to invite.

And if you're in a place where they're too uptight, maybe you need to find someplace else. I left a community after finding myself alone at one seder.

After that I found a place where they make every effort (starting with inviting people way in advance, then including in all the announcements in the weeks before each holiday and on the holiday itself that anyone who wants to be invited should speak to the announcer (we also do this each Shabbat) and finishing with asking anyone who looks like they might be going home alone if they have a place.

I don't know if the right place to do this in your community is a shul, a community mailing list, or whatever. But try to find it. And if it isn't the sort of shul, etc. that Aish likes, that's not your problem. I think there's got to be a less drastic option than chucking it all and/or intermarrying.

Maybe there should be a worldwide network of hospitable shuls. So someone who moves to Anytown would know which shuls will be welcoming (let's make it positive only, there won't be a list of unfriendly shuls, they just won't appear).

assimilAishionist said...

Thanks for sharing, Warren. Please feel free to write us some more!