Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Still No Aish St. Louis Baal Tshuva Marriages This Century

I had an interesting e-mail exchange with a former Aish St. Louis rebitzen who challenged the above claim. At the end, she had no choice but to concede her former organization's impotence, although she wasn't mature enough to do it openly. Here, now, for your viewing pleasure is a peak at the dialogue. Names have been redacted to protect the not-so-innocent.

I wasn't sure who was behind the blog, but it only took a bit of poking around to find out. I'm really not sure if I want to waste my time on this, but I like you so here goes...Yes, there have been many Aish BT weddings. Normal people, crazy people, the works. Guess who conceived of the shidduch between me (at the time an Aish St. Louis girl) and my husband? Rabbi G**********. Ok, ancient history. There was a wedding two weeks ago (A***** M***** and D****** R*******) and an engagement announced a few weeks ago (ok, honestly can't remember the woman's name, but she's been coming around for a few years and is marrying L**** F***). Or how about D**** and D**** R***? Also set up by Rabbi G. L*** and J** B*****? Set up by Aish rabbis. I'll be waiting for the mea culpa. As to your assumptions about why people left, you're just mistaken. The biggest issue is funding. I think you're a bright guy and I have had a lot of respect for you, but this blog is just - hmmm, what's the word? Beneath you? I guess that's two words. Esp. since much of what you are posting is slanderous and incorrect. I'm just surprised. C**** W*****

I responded thusly, "Hi C****,My comment was I cannot think of one BT couple who got married since the house was given at the end of 2005. I'm pretty sure your marriage was before the end of 2005. A*****'s a convert; I specified Ba'al Tshuva because otherwise when the potential convert comes to classes, she's off-limits. As far as L**** F*** and the mystery bride, that is in the future. Again, I made it very clear I was talking about marriages between the end of 2005 when the house came into Aish's possession, and today, August 28, 2007. I believe that both the R***'s and B*****'s were married before the house's acquisition, but if not I would suggest two BT marriages in an Aish community that serves 60,000 is not that impressive. As far as why rabbis left, I know one who had the funding and left because he butted heads with the senior rabbi's in terms of outreach techniques, or at least that's what he said. To whatever extent I implied that it was the major reason, mea culpa. But I think 33% still qualifies as a major reason, if not the major one.

To be continued.

No comments: